Republished with permission from Musely an Evio Community Partner
1. NEUROTRANSMITTERS CALLED ENDORPHINS ARE RELEASED WHEN YOU SMILE.
These are triggered by the movements of the muscles in your face, which is interpreted by your brain, which in turn releases these chemicals. Endorphins are responsible for making us feel happy, and they also help lower stress levels.
2. ENDORPHINS MAKE US FEEL HAPPIER AND LESS STRESSED.
They also act as the body’s natural painkillers. For sufferers of chronic pain, laughing and smiling can be very effective in pain management, as can laughing off the pain when you bump an elbow or fall over.
3. WHILE THE RELEASE OF ENDORPHINS IS INCREASED, THE STRESS HORMONE CORTISOL IS REDUCED.
Cortisol is more active when we feel stressed or anxious and contributes to the unpleasant feelings we experience, and by lowering it we can reduce these negative feelings.
4. LAUGHING EXPANDS THE LUNGS, STRETCHES THE MUSCLES IN THE BODY AND STIMULATES HOMEOSTASIS.
This exercises the body, replenishing the cells from a lungful of oxygen and gaining all the benefits of exercising the body.
5. A GOOD LAUGH CAN BE AN EFFECTIVE WAY TO RELEASE EMOTIONS.
A good laugh can help you release emotions, especially those emotions that you might bottle up inside. Everything looks that little bit better after a good laugh and life can be seen from a more positive perspective. Smiling and laughing have positive social implications as well.
6. SMILING IS AN ATTRACTIVE EXPRESSION, WHICH IS MORE LIKELY TO DRAW PEOPLE TO YOU RATHER THAN PUSH THEM AWAY.
Smiling makes you appear more approachable. Interaction with others is easier and more enjoyable when smiles and laughs are shared, and these behaviours are contagious, making others feel better too, and make you a more appealing and attractive person to be around. This, in turn, will have a positive effect on your well-being.
7. A HAPPY, POSITIVE EXPRESSION WILL SERVE YOU WELL IN LIFE.
This is particularly true for challenging situations such as job interviews: a smiling, relaxed persona indicates confidence and an ability to cope well in stressful situations. This will also be of benefit in your career, building healthy relationships with colleagues and being seen in a favourable light by your employers.