Only the world’s biggest online shopping event. NBD.
If you’re in Canada, like us, or even the US, you may not be familiar with Singles Day. It all started in China as an anti-Valentine’s Day where students would celebrate their singleness and treat yo’self to some online shopping. Leave it to Alibaba to take that ‘holiday’ and turn it into a global shopping phenomenon in 2009. To put it all into perspective, the 2018 single day (pun intended) sales on 11/11 raked in over $30 billion, beating online revenues from Black Friday and Cyber Monday combined.
Here are the quick hits you need to know:
- It happens every year on 11/11, chosen because of the 4 solitary 1’s
- Singles Day started in 1993 at Nanjing University
- Alibaba’s first-ever Singles Day shopping event started in 2009
- Alibaba hosts a start studded gala the night before to get everyone pumped up — and keeps shoppers awake and ready to shop at the stroke of midnight
- This year, Taylor Swift will perform at the Countdown Gala, joining the likes of Mariah Carey, Pharrell Williams, Kobe Bryant and Scarlett Johansson who have promoted in the past
More and more retailers are jumping in on the online shopping blitz so be sure to check your fave sites come 11/11.
On 11/11, for 24 hours only, shop eviobeauty.com for $11 for every product and special prices on kits.